Getting to the line early. 0700. Good call.
I probably burned way too many matches getting up Shull's Mill. My heart rate was 180+ for some 17 minutes (that's well above threshold for me). My legs would protest that effort the rest of the ride and the next day. The lure of riding with a fast group after Shull's was too great of a temptation.
After Shull's, I got on with the second group. The lead group was supposedly some 30 strong. The second group had a good 20 riders in it initially. As we passed through Blowing Rock we took the initial right and then came to the second light that had someone there controlling traffic. A vehicle was stopped in each lane and the volunteer signaled for the riders to come around them and through. Unfortunately, the vehicle in the left lane thought the volunteer was motioning to it and turned left right in front of us. We were far enough back and moving slowly enough that nobody hit the car. Sheesh. The guys in front of me were pushing so hard as we left Blowing Rock that they almost went right by the left turn. Given the climb on that road, I was tempted to keep my mouth shut and just keep riding. Reason took over and I yelled 'Left Turn' in time for them to brake and make the turn. I still had to push my heart rate back up above threshold on all these climbs to hang on to this group.
Once we got on the
What was a 1/4 mile gravel road stretch doing in the middle of a road ride? I can't remember if this was before or after
Somewhere near
On the climb up to 321 a small group of riders caught me. I rode with one or two of them on 321. I was behind one of them when he hit a pothole and I watched as his rear wheel was obviously out of true afterwards. I mentioned that I thought he'd popped a spoke and he fell back to check his wheel. As I climbed Mast Gap I was still holding out hope that I'd be able to break 5:30. When I got to the 1 mile marker my watch was reading 5:27 and change. I jumped on the pedals and did my best to get in before 5:30. I was fortunate to be able to get in just under 5:30 by cooking that last mile.
I hurt today more than I did after Misery or Mitchell. I attribute the pain to Shull's
No comments:
Post a Comment