Yesterday's ride was much more docile coming out of the Farmer's Market up all the way to Old Salem, but once we turned onto Teague it was off to the races. The peleton started to break up on Old Greensboro and by the time we reached Walburg - High Point Rd, I'd been shelled out the back.
Der Jan, Chum, and I got back together with some other riders among whom was "Raul Alcala," (rides in a Mexican flag jersey), "Mario Cippolini" (red Saeco jersy) and "Supper Strong Stacy." We formed up and got in a comfortable groove. My heart rate dropped below 165 for the first time in a while -- wow. And riding north, I think I heard the Good Doc holler out as our group passed the Fitness Center ride which was headed south on our namesake highway, Horneytown Road.
There wasn't too much cheek this time as we turned on Squire Davis, Sandy Ridge, Bunkerhill -- we were just glad be finishing. As we positioned and lined up for the finishing sprint, I marked the acceleration and got in third position -- perfect for poaching the sprint. Unfortunately a truck backed out of a driveway, and broke us up. By the time I decided to go for the sprint Super Strong Stacy had already jumped. Remaining in the saddle, I "road on the rivet" to the painted blue finish line where I came up short by half a wheel. Dang! ten more meters? Stacy points to the line and my tire and yells, "Ha!" By the time we got back to the parking lot, Tailights! already had his bike in the back of Jeff's truck, Dude! It was all stories and complaining and trash-talking and complaining at rides end. Did I mention trash-talking?
Oh, and did I mention I love riding?
No comments:
Post a Comment